The Health Systems Executive Leadership Doctor of Nursing Practice prepares nurse leaders to function in executive leadership and management roles with a focus on redesigning health systems to meet the ever-changing landscape of healthcare delivery. Graduates of this program will lead the transformation of health care as chief executive officers, and chief nursing officers.
The Health Systems Executive Leadership DNP curriculum focuses on the knowledge and skills needed to lead complex clinical environments effectively including:
- Understanding organizational behavior
- Implementing evidence-based management, practice, and quality improvement
- Integrating leadership in complex systems
- Utilizing principles of finance and healthcare economics for strategic planning
- Facilitating health policy
- Incorporating data analytics and population health into clinical systems design
Students complete a leadership practicum or residency with a senior-level mentor. This newly designed curriculum meets the New AACN Essentials for graduate nursing programs at the level 2 competencies.
Sample Course Sequence
NOTE: Courses and sequencing are subject to change.
Didactic 1 credit hour = 15 contact hours
Clinical 1 credit hour* = 60 clinical contact hours
Total contact hours = 945
|Term 1||Credit Hours||Didactic Contact Hours||Clinical Contact Hours|
|Spring NURS 6420 Health Promotion Theory & Population Health 3 45||3||45||-|
|NURS 6523 Foundations of Scholarly Writing and Evidence-Based Practice||3||45||-|
|NURS 6327 Health Systems Policy||3||45||-|
|NURS 6500 Leadership & Collaboration for Quality & Safety||3||45||-|
|NURS 5110 Pharmacotherapeutics||3||45||-|
|NURS 5812 Designing Care Delivery Alternatives *||3||15||120|
|NURS 5101 Advanced Pathophysiology for Primary Care||3||45||-|
|NURS 6325 Informatics, Economics, & Financial Principles||3||45||-|
|NURS 5121 Advanced Health Assessment *||3||30||60|
|NURS 5811 Applied Economics and Finance for Health Systems||3||45||-|
|NURS 6527 Strategic Planning **||3||15||120|
|NURS 6526 Quality and Performance Improvement in Health Systems *||3||15||120|
|NURS 6525 Leadership and Management Practicum ***||3||-||180|
- BSN from a regionally accredited institution of higher education
- Transcripts from all post-secondary schools attended
- Cumulative GPA from undergraduate work 3.0 or above on a 4.0 scale
- Unencumbered/unrestricted RN License to practice in Missouri
- Two Professional references from individuals who can address academic skills including oral and written communication skills and clinical competence
- Current CV or Resume
- A personal statement of personal attributes and experiences that will help you be successful in this program.
- Two years of leadership experience
The Admissions Department may provide a 10-year forgiveness for cumulative GPA calculation. The student should submit a petition for forgiveness of prior grades to the Admissions Department.
Costs and Financial Aid
Earning your MSN degree is a significant investment, and one of the most important ones you will make. Take a look at expenses or down our program cost flyer.
We want you to be successful as you embark on the Health Systems Executive Nurse Leadership Concentration. Take a look at what financial assistance options are available to you.
Interested in applying or learning more about our Health Systems Executive Nurse Leadership concentration? Get started today!