Staff Excellence Awards
Staff excellence awards are chosen by the faculty affairs committee after nominees submit a portfolio of accomplishments for review. At the end of the year, Goldfarb School of Nursing at Barnes-Jewish College announces and celebrates the winners of the faculty and staff awards.
Goldfarb School of Nursing at Barnes-Jewish College is excited to announce our current winners of the staff excellence awards. We would like to take this time to congratulate and thank them for all of their hard work.
- Kelly Hantack, MSN, RN, CPN for Dean’s Award for Exceptional Service
- Katie Jett, MSN, RN, FNP-BC for Ruth G. Franc Award for Excellence in Classroom Teaching
- Justin Schneider, MSN, RN, AGPCNP-BC for Cynthia Billman Award for Excellence in Clinical Teaching
- Nancy Van Aman, DNP, RN, FNP-BC for Christner Award for Excellence in the Advancement of Nursing Science
- Curtis Smith, MM for Living Our Values Award for Staff Excellence
- Yolanda Nettles for Staff Award for Community Service
- Kathleen Thimsen, DNP, MSN, WOCN, FNS for Dean’s Award for Exceptional Service
- Sara Kimmel, MSN, RN for Ruth G. Franc Award for Excellence in Classroom Teaching
- Brian Torres, MSN, CRNA for Cynthia Billman Award for Excellence in Clinical Teaching
- Horng-Shiuann Wu, PhD, RN for Christner Award for Excellence in the Advancement of Nursing Science
- Wanda Cummings for Living Our Values Award for Staff Excellence
- Margaret O’Connor for Staff Award for Community Service
Frequently Asked Questions
Goldfarb employees are eligible if they meet the following criteria:
- Goldfarb staff
- Have at least 12 months of service at GSON prior to the nomination date
- Have no documented performance issues for the given nomination year
- The role is non-management and employee classification is not PRN or temporary
- Nominations are eligible for that given year’s award
- Individuals need to be nominated by a staff or faculty member
- There are no self-nominations
- Completed applications will be submitted through the college Human Resources Department and emailed to [email protected]
The recipient(s) will receive a $1,000 award (consistent with system level award totals) and a commemorative plaque or certificate presented during the awards ceremony.
The selection committee is comprised of:
- One faculty member
- Two internal non-faculty members
- Two external individuals
- A human resources representative as an ex-officio member
- Selection committee team members will be diverse and have an appreciation of the nature of staff roles and functions
- Members will rotate annually or bi-annually
Only forms received by HR will be considered in the selection process.
- A human resource representative will ensure candidates are in good standing via a discussion with a manager or director
- Multiple nominations for a single candidate will be packaged by Human Resources and presented to the selection committee as a single nomination (Each unique candidate will only be scored once for each competency)
- The selection committee will meet to discuss the candidates and identify the winner
- Nomination forms are made anonymous to the selection committee (Once scored, nominee names are shared for further discussion purposes)
- Each nomination is scored based on the GSON Mission, Vision and 4 GSON core values
- Up to two staff members will be selected
The winner is announced at the January town hall meeting the following year.
Mission – Prepare exceptional nurse leaders in an academic learner-centered environment
Vision – Be a national academic leader in nursing education, research and scholarship
Community – Embed and responsibly participate within many diverse communities to deliver the best strengths for advancing, serving, and sustaining healthcare (higher education) work and success
Mutual Respect – Hold each other in highest mutual regard, honor diverse gifts, promote healthy engagement and exchange
Caring Ways – Deliver, discover, teach, establish, sustain, and support healing and restorative pathways
Empowerment – Demonstrate how he or she prepares, positions, and delivers his or her best thinking, skills, energy, and contributions to the College and/or its communities of interests
Note: An award may not be given if the nominations do not meet the criteria.