The Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) in Executive Leadership concentration is offered to BSN registered nurses interested in pursuing advanced leadership positions in many healthcare settings.
The program’s goal is to prepare nursing leaders to identify and solve problems, improve access to care complexities, manage operational efficiencies and increase patient safety.
The DNP Executive Leadership concentration is on the leading edge of DNP programs for nursing professionals and offers a variety of practicum experiences aimed at meeting the professional learning needs of the student.
Go Beyond Core Curriculum with Management Skills
Over the course of 36 months, you’ll experience the core curriculum from the Doctor of Nursing Practice program and speciality courses from the Executive Leadership concentration.
Advance Nursing Practice with Evidence-Based Projects
The Executive Leadership concentration includes planning, implementation and evaluation of a scholarly evidence-based project. The project’s location is driven by student interests and location and meets the criteria of the AACN Essentials of Doctoral Education for Advanced Nursing Practice. You’ll also be prepared to take the American Organization for Nurse Executives (AONE) certification exam.
Opening the Door to New Career Prospects
Graduates will be prepared to assume roles ranging from entry-level management to executive positions within acute care, community and public health, ambulatory and other continuum-spanning organizations. Learn more about what a DNP degree can do for you.
Sample Course Sequence
Effective Spring 2024
NOTE: Courses and sequencing are subject to change.
|Biostatistics and Epidemiology||3|
|Foundations of Scholarly Writing & Evidence-Based Practice||3|
|Leadership and Collaboration for Quality and Safety||3|
|Healthcare Informatics, Economics and Financial Principle||3|
|Clinical Inquiry and Scholarship for Advanced Clinical Practice||3|
|Quality and Performance Improvement in Health Systems||3|
|Health Promotion Theory and Population Health||3|
|Evidence Based Decision Making for Population Health||3|
|Health Systems Policy||3|
|Strategic Planning for Healthcare||3|
|Executive Preceptorship Extension (Optional if clinical hours not completed)||3|
|Designing Care Delivery Alternatives||3|
|Systems-Based Practice and DNP Project I||3|
|Executive Preceptorship Extension||1|
|Systems-Based Practice and DNP Project II||3|
|Systems-Based Practice and DNP Project III||3|
|PROJECT COMPLETION IF NEEDED|
|DNP Project (Optional if project not completed)||1|
Students must meet admissions requirements of McKelvey School of Engineering at Washington University, as well as the requirements of Goldfarb School of Nursing including:
- Applicants must have completed a Bachelor of Science in Nursing from a nationally accredited institution
- A minimum of a 3.0 on a scale of 4.0 cumulative GPA
- A current unencumbered RN license in the U.S. or comparable license in the country where they are practicing or doing clinicals
- Strong professional references from two (2) persons who can address academic skills including oral and written communication or clinical competence. Applicants are strongly encouraged to select a doctorally prepared nurse as one of the two references
- Submission of a one or two-page essay of an example of a frequent occurrence in clinical practice that the applicant would like to see improved
- Barnes-Jewish College recommends that international applicants take the Internet-based TOEFL (IBT) or IELTS
- The score requirement for the IBT is 85, with minimum scores of 21 for reading and 23 for writing
- The score requirement for the computer-based test is 240, with a minimum score of 4.5 on the Test of Written English
- The score requirement for the paper-based test is 575
Costs and Financial Aid
We want you to be successful as you embark on the Doctor of Nursing Practice - Executive Leadership concentration program. Take a look at what financial assistance options are available to you.
Earning your DNP Degree is a significant investment, and one of the most important ones you will make. Take a look at expenses or download our program cost flyer.
Request more information about the DNP Executive Leadership by filling out the form below.
Interested in applying to or learning more about our Doctor of Nursing Practice - Executive Leadership concentration program? Get started today!