Goldfarb School of Nursing at Barnes-Jewish College Social Media Policy
July 14, 2010
Goldfarb School of Nursing at Barnes-Jewish College (GSON) recognizes that social media sites like Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and others have become important communication tools for our community. The following policy serves as a guideline for those seeking to establish a social media outlet involving any group, organization or individual representing the College.
Official College Communication
GSON official College communication, including correspondence between students and employees (faculty/staff) regarding classes, schedules, and events, are to be conducted within college-sanctioned communication channels:
- Outlook e-mail for official college business
- BlackBoard for academic and clinical coursework
- GUS Connect Group Studio for groups, organizations or committees within the College
Any official correspondence or activity conducted outside these channels are not endorsed by the College.
Social Media Content Guidelines
GSON supports the use of social media in personal/non-school or non-work contexts. As a student or employee at GSON, you may encounter confidential information within the College or within the patient care environment during clinical practicum. Consistent with the BJC Confidentiality Statement that you signed at the beginning of your program/employment, it is your responsibility to refrain from any of the following:
- Using of patients’ name (any identifier including initials, hospital name, etc.) and personal health information in any way
- Disclosing confidential information about the College, its employees, or its students
- Stating personal opinions as being endorsed by the College
- Using information and conducting activities that may violate GSON academic policies, or may violate local, state, or federal laws, and regulations
If you identify yourself as a GSON student or employee online, it should be clear that any views you express are not necessarily those of the institution. In the event that opposing views arise on a social media feed, exercise professional judgment. GSON does not tolerate content from students or employees that is defamatory, harassing, libelous or inhospitable to a reasonable academic/work environment. Social media may be used to investigate student or employee behavior. Employees are also required to comply with BJC’S Policy #7-10 “Internet/Intranet Activity and Security” which can be found online via HR Direct.