Text Size A-A+

FAQ - Financial Aid

Q: What types of financial aid are available?
A: We offer a variety of federal, state and institutional funding programs, including:
  • Pell Grant
  • SEOG Grant
  • Work Study program
  • Stafford loans
  • Parent Plus loans
  • Graduate Plus loans
  • Missouri Access Grant
  • Marguerite Ross Barnett Scholarship
  • Institutional Scholarship
  • Private loans
  • External Scholarships

Q: How do I apply for financial aid?
A: All federal and state programs require submission of the FAFSA form, as well as other applications and documentation. All forms can be completed through our Financial Aid section. If you would like assistance in completing these forms, please give our office a call and we can set a convenient time for you to come in and complete these forms.

Q: When do I apply for financial aid? 
A: The main deadline for State grants is April 1st of every year. If you apply later, you will still be considered for all other federal financial aid programs.

Q: How will I be notified what I am eligible for?
A: Once you have submitted all required documents, you will receive an award letter in the mail as well as an e-mail once the disbursement has been made to your student account. 

Q: Where does it go when it gets here?
A: All of your financial aid is applied to your student account paying for your tuition and fees. If you have money remaining after your balance is paid, you will receive a refund check. If you have questions about this refund check, please contact the Business Office at 314-454-8619.

QWhy should I fill out a FAFSA? I am not eligible for anything!
A: Even though you may not be eligible to receive a Federal Pell Grant (“free” money) because of your financial status, you should be able to attain low interest Federal Stafford loans. Filling out a FAFSA will tell the Financial Aid Office if you are eligible for this type of loan. There are a few instances in which you would not be eligible for these loans which include hitting your aggregate limit for Federal loans, default on prior Federal student loans, bankruptcy and/or being over awarded by a prior school. In some cases, your financial aid office can help you take the steps necessary to regain eligibility. It is also important to fill out the FAFSA every year because some state funding and some scholarships look at the results of your FAFSA prior to awarding those funds. 

QWhy does the FAFSA ask for parent information when I don’t live with my parents and they don’t claim me on their taxes?
A: Dependency rules are determined by the Department of Education and include questions about your age, marital status, whether you support someone, etc. These questions about your dependency do NOT include who claimed you or where you lived for the award year.  If you are not truthfully able to answer “yes” to any of these dependency questions on the FAFSA, then you are considered dependent and must provide parents’ information. If you cannot provide this information, contact your Financial Aid Office. 

QCan I cover the entire cost of attending Goldfarb School of Nursing with only Federal Student Aid?
Chances are you will not have enough Federal Student Aid to cover the entire cost of tuition, fees, books and living expenses. Your Financial Aid Office can help you apply for private student loans and can give you information about scholarships. Those who are veterans of the military or a dependent of a veteran may use their Veteran’s Educational Benefits to pay tuition and fees. Also, those who work for employers who provide tuition reimbursement for furthering education may also use this money to cover their school costs.  Your Financial Aid Office can help guide you in the right direction. 

Q: How many times must I fill out the FAFSA?
You must fill it out for each award year you are attending Goldfarb School of Nursing. Each Summer term (May) starts a new award year, so, roughly, you must fill out a new FAFSA for your first terms and then be prepared to fill it out again for each new Summer term in which you are enrolled. Complete this prior to April 1st of every year for maximum eligibility. 

Q: Can I borrow money for living expenses?
Yes. This cost is considered part of the cost of your attendance. You are assigned a budget based on Federal guidelines that has ample room for tuition, fees, books and living expenses. You cannot borrow more than your budget but you can borrow up to the amount of the budget. You can apply for living expenses through loans such as a private student loan, a Grad PLUS loan (graduate students) or a Parent PLUS loan (dependent students). 

Q: Why am I not eligible for a Pell grant now when I was eligible previously?
You may not be eligible for a variety of reasons. If you have earned a Bachelor’s degree, you are no longer eligible for any grants (state or Federal). If you are working on a graduate degree, you are also not eligible.  It is also possible that you have used up the time allowed by Department of Education to receive a Pell grant. This translates to about 6 years of full time attendance in an undergraduate program. Please visit this website to learn about the Lifetime Eligibility Used limit.

Q: My award letter doesn’t show enough funding. Why? What can I do?
A: Your award letter may only be showing Federal Student Aid, which in many cases, is not enough to cover the cost of attending Goldfarb School of Nursing. Even if you previously attended a college for which Federal Student Aid covered all tuition, fees and books, this does not mean that the same will happen at Goldfarb. Every college has a different pricing structure in cost per credit hour and fees that apply to your education.  Contact your Financial Aid Office to discuss additional forms of funding or read through the “Steps to Apply for Financial Aid” on the Barnes Jewish College website for additional ideas.