To prepare a highly capable and compassionate health care workforce in patient care delivery, multi-faceted leadership, research and scientific discovery to better the lives of individuals, families and communities.
To become a premiere College, in partnership with BJC HealthCare and valued academic and other partners, by offering a robust interprofessional curricular portfolio that develops a health care workforce equipped with needed and expanding competencies.
To achieve its mission, Barnes-Jewish College is committed to:
- Provide a learning-centered educational environment which respects and values the diversity of all persons.
- Advance and disseminate knowledge to continuously improve nursing education, nursing practice and patient care outcomes.
- Promote intra/inter-professional education for collaborative practice.
- Facilitate the development of nurses who, within their scope of practice, provide safe, compassionate, ethical care in diverse communities.
- Foster lifelong learning and reflective, professional practice.
- Develop professional nurses to assume leadership and advanced practice roles to improve healthcare in their communities.
- Improve the provision of nursing through evidence-based practice that incorporates best evidence, professional expertise and patient and family values.
- Accountable use of technology in education and practice to promote skills, patient safety, improved outcomes and access to information for clinical decision-making.
- Influence global healthcare through developing professional nurses who understand the social, political and economic forces impacting the provision of care, and who actively participate in efforts to improve health care policy.
Barnes-Jewish College makes every effort to insure the following:
- An environment in which students, faculty, staff and administration are accepted for their own worth and dignity;
- Active support of scholarly endeavors that contribute to excellence in clinical practice and education;
- Compliance with discipline specific ethical codes and practice standards and to the BJC HealthCare Code of Conduct.
Members of the Barnes-Jewish College community – students, faculty, staff, administrators, and alumni – share in the responsibility to support the College’s mission as an institution of higher education. Each member is expected to respect the purposes of the College, the goals of its programs and the views of its members.
The College community is governed by what ought to be rather than by what is. Each member is responsible for repudiating all forms of academic and intellectual dishonesty, treating each other with respect and dignity and acting with concern for the safety and well-being of all.
Inquiry, discourse and dissent within the ordered academic environment are key elements within the College. The Barnes-Jewish College community is supportive of democratic and lawful procedures, is dedicated to the use of problem-solving approaches, is open to change and is committed to the institution’s historical values and traditions.
The College community is committed to establishing a foundation that educates a nurse who demonstrates compassionate caring for self and others, whose interventions are evidence-based, who respects the dignity and worth of human kind, and who embraces diversity.
These values are pursued through scholarly inquiry, innovative application, incorporation of meaningful technology, and meaningful interactions with others.